Sunday, January 13, 2008


This morning we got up at 5:30am and headed out to the North Shore to watch the high surf. You ask.. why get up at 5:30am to head out for a 45 minute drive???... Parking and Traffic!!! The North Shore has a 2 lane highway with limited parking.. So if you don't want to walk a super long way then you have to get out early... The surf was suppose to be 15 - 20 feet today but I am not sure it got to that height.. There were some really impressive sets though!!! Unfortunately the surf was pretty much wind blown and no one was surfing as you can see... Darn. :) :) However, many guys were on shore with their cameras and mega 300 and 400 + lens (Lens envy is a terrible thing!!) waiting and watching.. not much to shoot... It was a fun way to spend the morning though and when the sets come in the sound of the crashing waves is very cool!!! :) :) As you can see high surf means tons of salt spray in the air. Have a great week!!! :)

5 comments:

Blue Wave 707 said...

Great wave shots!

I know one day you'll get that 400mm lens! :-)

Mr. Mapper said...

Look like it was worth the early wake up call! Thanks for the visit to my blog. I just posted a pic of our new family member. Check her out.

Coy Hill said...

The early bird catches the worm, or rather some super impressive waves! Awesome shots!

Your ask about the lens in my diffuser post. It is the Canon EF100-400mm 1:4.5-5.6 L IS. It is a $1400 lens at B&H camera but it's far from the price league of the big prime L lens nor is it quite as sharp. I have been using it for all of my wildlife/bird photography since late summer and am quite please with the results.

There is nothing wrong with lens envy, but its really hard on the budget :)

Unknown said...

Wow, that bottom photo is awesome.

Kala said...

Wow! I give you credit for getting up so early to head up to the North Shore. I also went up to the North Shore but after my hike and it took us 2 hours to get there from Town! i know what you mean about lens envy! Some of these lens are crazy huge - larger than anything I have ever seen in Hawai'i! I guess surf photograph pays well?! I did not get to take any cool surf shots but yours look awesome!