Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Diamond Head Lighthouse... Thought it would be fun to take a shot of the lighthouse with the star still up!! :) :) Just a little trivia about the lighthouse... taken from various web sites.. :) :)
Built on the side of Diamond Head Crater, 147 feet above sea level, Diamond Head Light can be seen as far away as 18 miles and has an intensity of 60,000 candlepower. The original lighthouse structure was erected in 1899. The present tower, built in 1917, was constructed of reinforced concrete and stands 55 feet high. The first step in modernization at Diamond Head Lighthouse was to replace the fixed or steady light with the present day flashing light. Diamond Head Lighthouse has been progressively improved until today it stands as a modern automated USCG aid to navigation.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I like therich colours in this image.

Terra Photography said...

Hey now...you were holding out on me! You got some great shots of the lighthouse. Love the colors in this one.

Blue Wave 707 said...

Ooh, the colors! :-) Great shot!

photowannabe said...

I remember seeing that when we hiked to the top of the crater a few years ago. Great shot with such vivid colors.
Just wishing you a very Happy New Year and look forward to your visit sometime.

Tom said...

First of all thank you for droping by Wiggers World.
I do like this picture, the star is fun, and the light on the railings is very good.

Anonymous said...

I take it you must be in Honolulu. I just posted a picture of Diamond Head taken in 1955 when I was on the beach on my way home from Japan. It is on my Japanese Website. When you click my name it should bring up my profile and there are three blogs listed. The one with the photo of Diamond Head is sendai-shi.blogspot.com

The other blogs are totally different.

I will have to subscribe to this one as your photography is very good.

Abraham Lincoln

Kerri Farley said...

I LOVE lighthouses...unfortunately I don't have nay near by. This is a great shot!

imac said...

WoW just a great shot.

Kate said...

This is a very good shot of the lighthouse. Good job!!