Wednesday, December 27, 2006

December 27, 2006


Seasons Greetings from Ali'iolani Hale. Built in 1874 and was originally intended to be a palace. Instead, Ali'iolani Hale ("house of the heavenly King") became the Supreme Court and Parliament government office building. In the courtyard is the Gold Leaf statue of Kamehameha the Great. When Kamehameha V laid the cornerstone, a time capsule was buried there. It contains Hawaiian postage stamps, 21 Hawaiian and foreign coins, 11 different local newspapers, the Hawaiian Kingdom constitution, a calendar and books. It also contains photos of royal families. Some trivia I found on various web sites. :) :)

5 comments:

Kate said...

Hey, I've been there! The guard took my picture sitting in a judge's chair in the main courtroom as a bit of whimsy for my lawyer husband who was not on the trip with me that time!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, it's lit nicely. Like Kate I have been there and so you've brought back real memories for me.

Anonymous said...

Me too...great night picture. I only have a daytime one. Love your island and really need to go back again..soon.

Anonymous said...

Very nice collection of Christmas photos that you have posted. I wish I was on your island today. It's very cold in Calgary. Figgy duff (see picture on my blog)is a bag pudding and is a traditonal serving in Newfoundland as a desert. Check this link for the recipe: http://visitnewfoundland.ca/figgyduff.html

Karen said...

Very cool!