Sunday, October 22, 2006




Tonite I went to watch the premier of this film. The film was part of the Film Festival being shown at the "Sunset on the Beach". It was so nice outside to sit on Waikiki Beach and watch this awesome film...Here is a write up I found....

About the film
Beyond the deep-rooted stereotypes of "grass skirt girls", Na Kamalei: Men of Hula explores the revival of men who dance the hula. It follows legendary master hula teacher, Robert Cazimero, and Halau Na Kamalei, the only all-male hula school in Hawai'i, as they journey to compete at the world's largest hula competition. Celebrating the 30th anniversary of their school and competing with some of the oldest male dancers at the competition, Robert and his men are out to prove that the renaissance of male hula is not over. Na Kamalei tells a story of Hawaiian pride through the exploration of male roles in the hula tradition.

Before the film began The Halau performed.. Top Photo :) :)

4 comments:

Kate said...

Veru cool! Oh, if I could be there to see it, too!!

Annie said...

I'm hoping this film is shown at our local independent movie house. It would be so much fun to see. And I'll think of you if I do get to see it.

photowannabe said...

I would love to see it too. I like watching the men perform the hula.

Anonymous said...

It looks like fun to me too :)